Seafood allergy screening tests help find the exact cause of a food allergy in some people. Thus, assisting patients in designing a proper diet.
Screening for seafood allergy is an effective method to detect whether a patient is allergic to seafood. When suffering from seafood allergy, patients may have some mild symptoms such as hives and swelling, but there are also severe cases that can be life-threatening. The following article lets us learn about seafood allergy screening tests and how to treat this disease.
1. What Is Seafood Allergy?
Seafood allergy is a type of food allergy we can quickly encounter daily. This condition occurs when the body’s immune system reacts to the protein of some seafood species such as shrimp, crab, crab, squid, octopus, oysters, scallops,…
Seafood allergy occurs when the body’s immune system reacts to the protein of some seafood species such as shrimp, crab, crab, squid, octopus, oysters, scallops,…
People of any age can be allergic to seafood. In some cases, the patient is allergic to all types of seafood, while others are allergic to only specific types. Cases of seafood allergy often occur in adulthood, especially in women. Symptoms of atopic dermatitis vary from person to person. Seafood allergy in children is more common in boys than girls.
2. Causes And Symptoms Of Seafood Allergy
Some causes of a seafood allergy include:
- Due to the release of free histamines: Many people with seafood allergies are often due to a deficiency of free antihistamines. Eating seafood containing high levels of histamine will cause the release of histamine and cause allergies.
- The response of the body’s immune system: seafood contains many nutritious proteins, but some are harmful to the body. And then, the immune system will recognize them as antigens and create an allergic reaction.
Allergies are determined by antigenic groups: proteins in some seafood act as semi-antigens. Therefore, combining with the antigenic decision group available in the body will lead to an allergy.
Patients after eating seafood may immediately appear allergic symptoms within minutes to 1 hour after eating. Symptoms can range in severity from mild to severe.
Mild seafood allergy:
- Skin rash, urticaria, rash
- Swollen lips and tongue
- The patient may feel nauseous
- Cough and stuffy nose
Moderate seafood allergy:
- The patient has a stuffy nose, wheezing or shortness of breath, chest tightness
- Abdominal pain, nausea, and diarrhea may occur
- Dizziness, people feel uncomfortable
- Tingling in the oral cavity,..
Severe seafood allergy:
Some cases of severe seafood allergy can cause anaphylaxis, which is extremely dangerous to the patient’s life if not treated promptly.
- Throat swelling, the feeling of tightness in the throat, difficulty breathing due to constriction of the airways
- Seafood allergy with a swollen eyelid
- Shock with a severe drop in blood pressure
- Fast pulse
- The patient feels dizzy, light-headed, or unconscious.
However, people with a seafood allergy can also experience many other symptoms depending on the location. Therefore, as soon as the body has abnormal signs, you must go to a specialized medical facility for timely examination and treatment.
3. How Allergic to Seafood? How to Cure Seafood Allergy
Seafood allergy only occurs in some people whose body does not accept that seafood. However, if your family has a seafood allergy, you should not be subjective because you are still at risk of being allergic to seafood.
When you have a seafood allergy, you must avoid eating that type of seafood, stimulate vomiting to remove it from the body, drink water, and use the medicine,…
- If you have a seafood allergy, you should avoid eating that type.
- You should induce vomiting as soon as you discover that you or a loved one has a seafood allergy to expel the allergic food from the body.
- Mixing a little honey with warm water to drink can reduce itching caused by seafood allergies. If allergic to shrimp, you can combine a cup of warm lemon water to relieve the allergy.
- If you feel full or have a stomachache, you can break a piece of ginger and mix it with hot water to drink
- Drink more water
- In case of mild allergic symptoms, only antihistamines can be used to relieve symptoms. Some drugs can be used, such as loratadine, chlorpheniramine, cetirizine, phenergan, … In addition, can be used external drugs containing methol and zinc sulfate to soothe the skin and anti-itch. Pay special attention not to scratch, which will make the patient feel itchier and cause skin damage.
- In case of severe seafood allergy, it is necessary to go to a medical facility for timely and proper treatment. Do not arbitrarily use drugs without a doctor’s prescription.
4. Seafood Allergy Screening Test
In addition to standard allergy tests such as the 53-allergen test or 60-allergen test,… a seafood allergy screening test is indicated to be performed when a patient has signs of an allergic reaction after eating seafood or a family history of seafood allergies.
This test is essential, helping patients know if they are allergic to any seafood, thereby avoiding seafood that causes allergic reactions, limiting the harm caused by allergic reactions causes, and prompt treatment.
Diag Laboratories performs a seafood allergy screening test (Fish, shrimp, green mussel, tuna, salmon) (fx2) for 300,000 VND. With modern equipment and a team of highly qualified doctors and technicians, this is a prestigious address chosen by many people. If you are also interested and learn about this test, you can immediately contact Diag Laboratories at hotline 19001717 for more detailed advice.
See test prices here: https://www.diag.vn/danh-muc-xet-nghiem
With the information shared above, hopefully, you will have more practical knowledge about seafood allergy screening tests as well as this disease to protect the health of yourself and your loved ones.
The site cannot and does not contain medical advice. The medical information is provided for general informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Accordingly, before taking any actions based upon such information, we encourage you to consult with the appropriate professionals.