Turmeric is a familiar part of Vietnamese family meals. Since ancient times, Vietnamese people have used turmeric for beauty and as a method of protecting their health; it has active ingredients to help heal wounds and restore liver function.
Patients with liver disease may be concerned about using turmeric as a treatment. So how can we use turmeric in the right way and can it help cure a fatty liver? Is it really effective in treating diseases?
Learn About Fatty Liver Disease
When too much fat accumulates in the liver, any amount exceeding 5% indicates a fatty liver condition, meaning there is impaired liver function and a negative impact on the patient’s quality of life. If the condition persists, it may lead to cirrhosis or liver cancer.
So is a fatty liver dangerous? The answer is most certainly yes, but it can be improved with proper treatment.
How to treat fatty liver mainly depends on the cause of the disease. You can improve your condition by changing your living habits and adopting a scientifically sound diet.
Someone with fatty liver disease needs to understand what caused the illness and should stay away from any potentially harmful foods and instead supplement their diet with good substances for the liver.
Foods that are easy to incorporate into a regular diet and can help support the recovery of liver function include green vegetables, fish rich in omega-3, and beans.
People often look for herbal remedies to treat fatty liver, which is where turmeric comes in, and it is widely considered an effective and safe treatment.
What Is Turmeric’s Use in Treating Fatty Liver?
Turmeric has the scientific name Curcuma zanthorrhiza Roxb – Curcuma xanthorrhiza Dietr, and belongs to the ginger family (Zingiberaceae).
Yellow saffron grows widely in Vietnam, where it is used as a spice, and in some places, it is also refined to make cosmetics or medicine.
Yellow saffron is usually about 1m high on average, with high branches, elliptical leaves, and roots that develop into tubers, the most commonly used part.
Turmeric has a strong aroma and a warm, bitter taste. It is an effective anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, also capable of healing wounds and reducing scarring.
Today, modern science has researched and demonstrated the amazing benefits of turmeric for human health.
Curcumin is the main ingredient in turmeric, an active ingredient that can eliminate leptin’s effects, which is the main cause of cirrhosis.
In addition, turmeric also aids bile production, which supports the liver detoxification process and prevents fat build-up in the body while restoring liver function.
Therefore, turmeric one of the most popular herbal remedies for fatty liver treatment.
How To Treat Fatty Liver With Turmeric
Treating fatty liver with turmeric at home is easy and effective. Just choose one of the following methods:
1. Turmeric mixed with warm water as a remedy to treat fatty liver.
- You only need to prepare 1 single ingredient – turmeric starch.
- You should drink between 2 – 4 grams of turmeric mixed with warm water every day. The best time to drink turmeric juice is in the morning, this is the time that helps the body best absorb the nutrients in turmeric that help improve fatty liver.
2. Treat fatty liver with turmeric and honey.
- Honey contains many antioxidants that prevent cancer and have antibacterial properties that benefit your health.
- Turmeric combined with pure honey is considered one of the most effective ways to protect your liver with an at-home treatment.
• Turmeric Starch: 5gr (Can be replaced with fresh turmeric)
• Pure honey: 20ml
• Dry tea: 2gr
• Licorice with yellow stars: 5gr
Method: Bring all these ingredients to the boil with water, then add honey. You should drink this tea every day and can use it instead of water.
Turmeric tea helps detoxify the liver and reduces the accumulation of fat in the liver. According to many patients who have treated fatty liver at home, you need to persist in using it for a long time as a support for the treatment process to achieve the best results.
3. Treat fatty liver with turmeric, honey, and tangerine peel
- In traditional medicine, tangerine peel is highly regarded for its healing properties. It has a moderate, spicy taste and is used to treat conditions such as bronchitis to help you recover quickly. Also, people with motion sickness can smell tangerine peel to help reduce their discomfort.
- Thanks to the glycoside contained in the tangerine peel, the coronary arteries expand, and blood circulation increases which helps reduce excess fat in the liver.
For this remedy, you need to prepare the following ingredients:
• Fresh turmeric: 3 tubers
• Tangerine peel: 3gr
Method 1: Place fresh turmeric and tangerine peel into a pot with hot water for about 10 – 15 minutes until the water boils. Turn down the heat for a while to simmer before removing it from the heat.
This water should be used daily, twice a day, continuously for a long time to achieve the best results.
Method 2: Use turmeric starch
You can use dried tangerine peel to create a puree and then mix it well with turmeric starch to save for future use. This method will save you a lot of time.
Each time you use this mixture, dissolve it with about 50ml of warm water.
4. Treat fatty liver with turmeric and condensed milk
Using turmeric milk daily is not only a potential cure for fatty liver disease but also effective prevention, so can be used by healthy people who want to find a way to protect liver function.
• Gold Starch: 3gr
• Condensed milk: 2 teaspoons
• Honey (if desired): 2 teaspoons
Method: Mix golden saffron with 250ml of warm water at about 40 degrees to dissolve evenly. Then add condensed milk and honey and continue dissolving.
With turmeric milk, you should drink 1 glass daily, about 30 minutes before meals or 2 hours after, to benefit from the positive effects on your health.
How To Make Turmeric Starch Safely
With turmeric starch, you should buy from reputable places with clear product origins to ensure that you get pure turmeric starch without any other substituted ingredients or mixed products.
If you are worried about buying fake turmeric, you can make real turmeric yourself at home by following these steps:
• Use freshly peeled turmeric, wash and chop.
• Add a little water to the turmeric mixture and put it in a blender to puree.
• Pour the fresh turmeric mixture into a filter cloth to get the turmeric juice (This step takes a lot of time, be sure to filter several times to remove the turmeric and any impurities).
• Leave for a while to allow the water to settle, and continue to remove essential oils from the surface of the water (this is a substance that causes liver heat to reduce).
• Add water to dilute the turmeric juice, and leave it to settle the turmeric on the bottom. Repeat this about 2-3 times.
• The turmeric deposited at the bottom of the cup is fresh turmeric starch. You can store it in the refrigerator and safely use it gradually over 7 – 10 days.
What to Look For in Turmeric Treatment of Fatty Liver
Although turmeric is very good for health, when treating fatty liver with turmeric, you also need to be aware of the following issues:
• Turmeric is not a miracle that has immediate effects, so when applying turmeric treatments, the patient needs to persist in using it for a long time.
• Using turmeric as an alternative to treatment cannot completely replace your treatment regimen, so you need to consult your doctor for advice on treating fatty liver with turmeric alongside conventional treatment.
• Do not overdo it. Use only the correct amount of 2 – 4 grams of turmeric/per day.
• In addition to the treatment, it is important to abstain from hot spicy foods, greasy fast foods, and carbonated beverages.
• Limiting, or at best, not using stimulants such as alcohol, beer, or tobacco is necessary to improve fatty liver disease.
• You need to manage your stress levels for effective treatment of fatty liver disease.
• Each person’s body is different, so treatment will not always have the same effectiveness. You should not be overly confident but start with a single treatment and monitor its effects.
The daily and continuous use of turmeric is very important. Therefore, you should pay attention to the origin of the turmeric you purchase to avoid the risk of poisoning due to uncertain safety standards.
Turmeric used to treat fatty liver should be the best available. Black turmeric’s ability to treat fatty liver currently has not been verified. You should not rush to apply this remedy as its incorrect use could lead to health consequences.
Treating fatty liver with turmeric is a simple method that can be applied at home, bringing high efficiency and benefits not only to the liver but to overall health. Those who want to prevent liver disease can also apply these remedies.
There is one thing you must always remember, and that is to not overdo it. It is best to consult your doctor before using, and if there are abnormal signs related to your health, do not self-treat at home but go to the hospital to get the most accurate diagnosis and treatment.
The site cannot and does not contain medical advice. The medical information is provided for general informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Accordingly, before taking any actions based upon such information, we encourage you to consult with the appropriate professionals.